The Object of Rotary is to encourage and foster the ideal of service as a basis of worthy
enterprise and, in particular, to encourage and foster:
1. The development of acquaintance as an opportunity for service;
2. High ethical standards in business and professions; the recognition of the worthiness
of all useful occupations; and the dignifying of each Rotarian’s occupation as an
opportunity to serve society;
3. The application of the ideal of service in each Rotarian’s personal, business and
4. The advancement of international understanding, goodwill, and peace through a
world fellowship of business and professional persons united in the ideal of service.
The Four Way Test
Ethical ways of being and practices are at the hearts of Rotarians worldwide.
Four questions form the basis of decision making.
1. Is it the Truth?
2. Is it fair to all concerned?
3. Will it build goodwill and better friendships?
4. Will it be beneficial to all concerned?